mercredi 17 juin 2009

which came first the chicken or the egg: a recipe for Okayodon



for me the chicken was definitely first, or should I say one of the last things left in my fridge midweek and I was starving, in need of a comfort meal (and quick!) to get me through the last two days at work until the weekend. And what could be more comforting than this japanese dish, which name means "mother and child". This dish will without doubt see me and my beau make it through to the weekend!

Some recipes use chicken breast but I think that chicken thighs (skinned) especially organic are much tasty and real comfort food, also some recipes use sugar, but not being a big fan of sweet things I used rice syrup.

Recipe for Okayodon (serves 2 grands mangeurs)

Ingredients
70 ml dashi (pre-made)
50 ml mirrin
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
1 tablespon rice syrup (or caster sugar)
2 organic chicken thighs (skinned and bonned & chopped)
3 medium organic eggs (or 2 large ones) beaten
1/2 onion peeled and sliced (half moons)
2 spring onions sliced
4 Shitake mushrooms (optional)

to garnish:
1 sheet of nori shredded
shanso pepper

to serve: steamed rice or sushi rice

1. pour dashi into medium saucepan and heat until almost boiling turn down heat
2. add the soy sauce, mirrin, rice syrup and stir
3. add chicken, spring onions & onion and gently bring to the boil, boil for several minutes
4.slowly add beaten eggs, turn down heat and cover saucepan, allow cook for a further 3 mins

5. to serve put rice in either one large bowl and spoon mixture on top and garnish with nori strips and some shanso pepper or divide rice and okayadon mixture between two smaller bowls and enjoy!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire